You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one
Very often, I find myself lying in bed and pondering about my career path before falling asleep at night. But I believe I am not alone in doing so. All the options, the risks, the opportunity costs. It's not easy for one, even as an adult, to take that leap into the relative unknown.
I had dinner with Dr Wee, my retail management professor, last night and the dinner conversation topics inevitably lead to our current job application status. Us, being unemployed, offer-less and paranoid, were whining about our woes and troubles. But her one word of advice was not to take anything too quickly. The one who clinch the highest paying, most prestigious company and best sounding job title may be the winner now, but not necessary so in the future. We crave our own careers and only time will tell if we can excel in our positions/companies. She concluded that at its best, it's always better to underpromise and overdeliver.
She says if we couldn't find anything that fits our expectations, it is wise not to accept any full-time work and do some temp jobs or take up an internship to pass the time while waiting for the right one to come. Coz if we accept a job, it is (ethically) wrong to quit after a few dissatisfied weeks/months. But the problem is, how do you know which is the right one? It's like getting married. How do I know if the guy will turn out wrong after committing 5, 10, 30 years into the marriage? The truth is, no one knows such things and we can only take what we have now and hope for the best in the future. She did offer me a chance to intern at her consultancy firm while waiting, but we'll see then.
I am leaving for my graduation trip to Korea in less than 48 hours time. I've never gone overseas for such a long period and have such a high budget. I hope we'll have a blast. I also dearly hope that my job search process will take a turn for the better during or after the trip. *cross fingers and toes*