So this is how being famous feels like
I'm famous! and in a good way summore, not the Sarong-Party-Girl-accusation kinda way. I received my 1st 'hardcopy' commendation letter after 2 months into my work. here's just the extract, full review
here. read it and weep, people:
"Our first experience of a St Regis Hotel and wow did they deliver. We spent two nights here on our way home to Australia after being overseas for almost nine weeks. We had booked a Lady Astore Suite and alerted the hotel that our flight got in from LA at approximatley 5.45am. Whilst we did not expect to have our room ready we certainly did not expect the service we received...
... The staff overall are exceptional, prime example was we were in the business centre one day and June assisted us with the computer, for less then five minutes. The next day she was in the elevator with us and said "Good Morning Mr & Mrs Dobson" - amazing memory."
(btw, i'm using my english name, June, at work now. Easy on the lips of the ang-mohs and the staff who are non-chinese.)
Anyway, back to the smashing review. Man, does it feel good to get commended. Haha! It's really a "Yes ah!"-*punch fist in the air*-moment when I heard that my name was in the review and, as corny as it sounds, it really puts the spring in my steps for the rest of the time at work today.
It's really for a small action; but this action, forgettable in the eyes of the provider, is unforgettable in the eyes of the receiver, is what surprises me greatly. That is the wonders of service and this is what really attracts me to the industry. People have to be more aware of the effort put into providing a service, especially appreciation of good service! The ang mohs are doing it well by being vocal about lousy and good service standards. But Asians are way behind - we just know how to be criticise lousy service but take good service for granted. I am guilty of that sometimes and I must learn to change for the better after this experience.
Anyway, the thick-skinned me can't help but brag on FB and here, even though it's a really really minute thing that I did. Nevertheless, it'll not be the last, I'm sure :)