Fact of life: After Monday and Tuesday, even the calander says W T F...
It's been so long since I've written here, which can be a good thing. It means that I have other avenues to express myself. Plus, it's never safe to air work-related woes online, lest I wanna be caught for misuse of social media tools.
The past 2 off days had been pretty awesome. An impromptu meeting with QT and KY lead us to this awesome thai food eatery at Orchard Towers. Yes, that's the place where all the vice activities occur but that doesn't mean people don want to eat there. I love discovering all these cheap but damn delicious food haunts in places where people don't expect to go. Places like Newton, Jumbo seafood and hyped-up rooftop bars are overrated man. Give me my 85 hawker centre, hidden eateries on Orchard Road and secret rooftop locations anytime man! Anyway, the down part of the whole thing was when the meet-up lead to some talks about dissatisfaction felt at work, be it caused by the people we're working with or by one's expectations of oneself and the workplace. Then I realise that our generation is one hard nut to satisfy. No longer are we happy with a good income and a steady job. We want recognition and promotion and cold hard cash fast, as in, really lightning-speed fast. To some, a promotion in three/four years seems like a dynasty long and doing mundane tasks as part of each day's work is not worthwhile of one's degree. Given that we'll be working for the next 40+ years, there's no way any job will give us the desired promotions at that kinda speed. Increment and progression, yes, but that kinda 'instant' recognition doesn't exist. Unless, you're some super genius or you have some business plan that has the profits rocketing through the roof every minute. Our working life will be one ultra marathon, hence I think patience and perseverance from the newbies are much needed here, right?
Another gathering on the following day lead to talks revolving around topics like engagement, marriage, flats, babies, banquets, marriage, engagement, flats, banquets. Man, how old are we now?! But the conversation just keeps returning to those few topics. sigh, despite the good company, these conversations aren't exactly very entertaining. I refuse to resign to the fact that we are freaking growing old! I want the dirty jokes and lame conversations that lead to laughing until it hurts. Oh where have they gone to. =(
Don be mistaken, I do love all these happenings in my social life. There's nothing more boring that having nothing to look forward to for the next rest day. I'm just, after all, expressing myself within the limits.
Oh god, I have a sudden craving for Koi bubble tea!